Develop policy guidance and oversee the of implementation of all DoD policies, strategies, and plans related to irregular warfare and counterterrorism. These responsibilities include:
- Oversight of employment of special operations forces in counterterrorism, unconventional warfare, direct action, special reconnaissance, foreign internal defense, and counterproliferation, and other activities as specified by the Secretary of Defense;
- Counterterrorism plans, programs, actions, and requirements consistent with national strategies and DoD policy and objectives;
- Sensitive special operations, including oversight of special access programs under U.S. Special Operations Command;
- Capacity building of foreign partners to counter terrorist threats;
- Personnel recovery and hostage issues; and
- Military Information Support Operations (MISO) and Information Operations.