The Principal advisor to the Secretary of Defense, Deputy Secretary of Defense, Under Secretary of Defense for Policy and Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense on National Security issues and Defense Strategy and the capabilities, forces and contingency plans necessary to implement the Defense Strategy.
- Support the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense and the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy in providing the Department of Defense (DoD) with guidance to align resources, activities and capabilities with National Security and Defense Strategy goals.
- Provide DoD input to the National Security Strategy and associated national, regional and functional strategies.
- Develop National Defense Strategy (NDS), Guidance for Development of the Force (GDF) and Guidance for Employment of the Force (GEF)
- Review campaign and contingency plans, major force deployments and military operational plans
- Evaluate the capability of forces to accomplish U.S. Defense and National Security Strategy.
- Develop policy and strategy guidance to enhance partner capabilities and compatibility with DoD.
- Develop Global Force Posture policy and strategy and oversee implementation
- Lead the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR)